The theme for this year’s Met Gala, held at the Metropolitan Museum Of Art in New York, was “white tie and diamonds”. The event, hosted by Vogue editor Anna Wintour, was a spectacle of 1950s glamour.
Here I bring you the best of vintage glamour at the Met:
20. Coco Brandolini wearing… Venice. A kookie and offbeat gown, but one that shows us the full scale of a 1950s ball gown, complete with a vintage petticoat.
19. Hailee Steinfeld in Prabal Gurung evoking the drama of monochrome in vintage designs.
18. Fabiola Beracasa wearing a lovely gown with exuberant drapery.
17. Amy Adams in Oscar de la Renta, showcasing a lovely 1950s train.
16. Sarah Silverman wearing a full length, full skirted gown. An example of just how big and brilliant 1950s gowns can be. Worn with grace.
15. Toni Garrn and Jourdan Dunn wearing Topshop. Yes, Topshop. Stunning.
14. Diane Kruger wearing Hugo Boss in powder blue, a shade very popular in the 1950s.
13. Kim Kardashian in hour-glass hugging Lanvin.
12. Sarah Jessica Parker in Oscar de la Renta. Sometimes the trains are more interesting than the dress itself!
11. Lala Anthony shows us that big isn’t necessarily better – the 1950s were the height of fitted, bespoke tailored gowns that hugged a woman’s every curve.
10. Bee Shaffer brings Cinderella into the 1950s in this stunning fishtail dress.
9. Taylor Swift wearing an Oscar de la Renta dress with a layered train.
8. Stella McCartney’s best work yet, a gown that screams Rihanna and evokes understated glamour.
7. Karen Elson wearing a vintage bateau neckline.
6. Donatella Versace’s dress is superb – the weight and stature of the train is perfectly balanced by the tight contours of the gown’s body.
5. Liu Wen in an iconic 1950s gown.
4. Benedict Cumberbatch showing everyone else how tails should be worn. Perfection.
3. Arizona Muse in a stunning example of the understated, yet confident, chic of the 1950s.
2. Dita Von Teese is in her element in this wonderful fishtail dress by Zac Posen.
1. Blake Lively in a stunning couture dress by Gucci. The epitome of old school glamour in one dress.